The following instructions must be followed to ensure a successful start-up or refill:
- DO NOT fill the spa with Hot water! Tripping of the high limit sensor may result.
- DO NOT engage power to an empty spa. Damage may result.
- DO NOT use your spa until it has been sanitized as described in steps 8 -11.
- Flush garden hose for 30 seconds to remove stale water.
- CLOSE and cap all drains and remove GRAY Filter retaining cap on spa filter. Fill spa by placing hose inside filter standpipe.
- FILL spa until water level is either: 1/3 way up tile; up to water imprint; covers all jets completely plus an inch; or touching the bottom of the pillows. See owners manual for specifics.
- AFTER spa is full, start power. On 115V models, plug in and push the RESET button on the GFCI plug. On 220V models, reset the 20AMP Breaker inside the sub panel box. DO NOT reset the 30AMP breaker yet.
- PURGE air from the plumbing by turning the jets on for one minute. Once the jet system is fully operational, priming of the spa is complete. a. NOTE: Weak or surging jets are an indication of a low water condition, clogged filters, or a sticking skimmer assembly.
- Set temperature to 102° Fahrenheit or desired temperature. On 230V models, reset the 30AMP Breaker inside the sub panel box to start heater.
- ADJUST Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and pH. These procedures are listed on the water analysis obtained from our LAB. These adjustments are important, as water balance will prevent the sanitizer from operating effectively. a. IMPORTANT: Add spa water chemicals directly into the filter compartment with jet pump on high speed for at least 10 minutes. This is easily done on spas equipped with a “CLEAN” mode by pushing required buttons.
- SANITIZE the spa by adding 1-1/2 teaspoons of chlorine / bromine per 250 gallons of spa water. Engage the “CLEAN” mode and add chemicals through the filter area.
- DISTRIBUTE the sanitizer throughout the spa by rotating the “SMARTJET” lever through the 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and 12 o’clock positions, pausing for at least one minute in each position. Return the “SMARTJET” lever to the 3 o’clock (primary) position when complete. a. NOTE: On spas equipped with multiple jet pumps and multiple “SMARTJET” levers, these systems must also be used or the distribution is only partially done.
- AFTER 10 minutes or at the end of the “CLEAN” mode, use the test kit or test strips to check sanitizer level. Sanitizer level should be at least in the “IDEAL RANGE” or higher. If lower, repeat steps 8 through 10 until desired result is obtained. Ignore readings other than sanitizer at this time, as they may be compromised by high sanitizer levels.
- MONITOR water temperature with thermometer. When temperature climbs above 90° Fahrenheit, check sanitizer level. Sanitizer level should be at least in the “IDEAL RANGE” or higher. If lower, repeat steps 8 through 10 until level is obtained. Again, ignore readings other than stabilizer levels at this time.
- TEST pH and other levels 24 hours after initial sanitation and when sanitizer levels have fallen to the “IDEAL RANGE” or lower. You may wish to bring a quart of water to Teddy Bear at this time to confirm all levels are correct. 13. Drain spa every 3 – 4 months depending on usage and follow the steps 1 through 12 again.