- The Hayward DE filters are referred to by the following model numbers: · EC 30, EC 40, EC 40 Clamp EC 45, EC 50, EC 50 Clamp, EC 65 and EC 75
- Fill water to half skimmer and maintain it at that level throughout the season.
- (FOR ABOVE GROUND POOLS) Remove the strainer cover to the hair and lint basket on the pump and fill with water. Then, reinstall the cover. Always make sure the basket area is filled with water. Turn on your pump.
- (FOR IN-GROUND POOLS) Remove the strainer cover to the hair and lint basket on the pump and fill with water. (A garden hose is recommended.) Reinstall the cover and turn on your pump. It may take a couple of minutes to prime completely.
- Now you are ready to add DE to your filter system. After the filter has been running for approximately one minute, proceed to add DE. The amount of DE required is determined by the size of your filter.Hayward EC 30 requires 3 LBS of DE or 3 DE scoopsHayward EC 40 requires 4 LBS of DE or 4 DE scoopsHayward EC 45 requires 4 LBS of DE or 4 DE scoopsHayward EC 50 requires 5 LBS of DE or 5 DE scoopsHayward EC 65 requires 6 LBS of DE or 6 DE scoopsHayward EC 75 requires 7 LBS of DE or 7 DE scoopsFor your convenience, one pound DE scoops are available in our retail store.
- Slowly add in your DE through the skimmer, it will travel to pump and end up in the filter tank where it belongs.
- Run your filter system 6-8 hours every day. Your filter should be running for a longer period on hot days or if the pool is being used by a lot of people.
- Automatic timers are another option for your convenience and there are many types available in our retail store. Each timer has operating instructions included with it.
- Check your return flow of the pool water periodically to make sure the flow is strong. If it isn’t, bump your filter. Always keep your skimmer basket and pump basket clean. On a new pool installation, or when installing the filter at the beginning of the season, bump your filter once a day or more for the first few days the filter is running. Your water may look clean, but DE will polish it.
There is more to learn! Read the rest of our instructions in the PDF document below.