Terry from Westfield, MA Writes: Bucket Test
Q: Terry from Westfield, MA writes:
It seems as if I have been adding quite a bit of water to my above ground swimming pool lately. How can I tell if my swimming pool is leaking or not, without calling the pool service department for a false alarm?
A: Stephen Otto, Store Manager
Teddy Bear Pools & Spas, Chicopee. MA
The Bucket Test will define if loss of water in a swimming pool is due to evaporation or the always dreaded leak.
I know, I can see the comment bubble in your head… “EVAPORATION, I’m losing a quarter to half inch a day”! Loosing up to a half inch a day due to evaporations is possible, depending on temperature, sun light, wind and other factors.
The Bucket Test…
- Fill a Bucket with pool water about 1 inch from the top of the bucket.
- Set the Bucket on the first or second step.
- Mark the water line inside the bucket.
- Mark the water line of the pool on the outside of the bucket.
- Wait 24 hours.
- If the bucket has lost as much water as the pool its evaporation.
- If the pool has lost more then the bucket, call for service.
Hope this helps.
Leave a Comment